At Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., we have spent the last 36 years pushing the boundaries and chasing perfection in Craft Brewing. In every aspect of the brewery, we strive to be as environmentally responsible as possible with a focus on conservation and waste reduction. This position is a terrific opportunity for an experienced manager or supervisor to lead the Packaging Department in our state-of-the-art facilities. This is a department head position that reports to the Plant Manager. The Packaging Manager leads a department responsible for safely packaging innovative brands in multiple package formats while conforming to rigorous quality standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position will lead a team of 30+ employees to create and sustain a high performing, safe, quality and customer focused production environment.
- Carries out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, applicable state laws and OSHA regulations.
- Oversee all bottling, canning, and kegging operations of the Packaging Department.
- Fosters a culture focused on making safety a priority, addressing potential safety hazards quickly and effectively.
- Manage, supervise, and develop employees; including team-building, coaching and building respectful and meaningful relationships.
- Oversees the maintenance and production plans on multiple high speed packaging lines.
- Participates in planning for growth and coordinating the development and implementation of a strategic plan.
- Collaborate with operational managers to deliver against KPI objectives for the Packaging Department.
- Provide technical expertise and direction for packaging material specifications and equipment designs, layout, installation and startup.
- Participate and assist with creating a culture of continuous improvement that challenges the status quo and continuously improves safety, quality and efficiencies with a focus on waste reduction.
- Conducts one on one meetings with team members, providing feedback and suggestions to aid in professional development.
- Develops a cohesive semi-autonomous team focused on safety, quality, customer service, cost, environmental sustainability and innovation.
- Maintains the highest quality standards possible in every aspect of the business.
- Solicits the input of others to collaboratively make decisions.
- Communicates and interprets company policies to employees.
- Assists in developing the overall mission and vision for the department.
- Directly manages a cross functional team of packaging employees.
- Rewards and recognizes positive performance.
- Hiring, evaluation and disciplinary action of department employees.
- Assists in creating departmental budget while tracking expenditures and usage.
- Ensures short and long term goals are aligned to overall business objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Competent with the Microsoft Office suite of programs (i.e. Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated mechanical ability & technical aptitude
- Knowledge of complex systems, automated processes and quality control
- Team player with the ability to work autonomously
- Ability to analyze problems, identify solutions and implement procedures for solutions
- Excellent communication skills
- Must able to work autonomously with focus and determination
Experience & Education
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or a minimum of four years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of five years front-line supervisory experience
- A minimum of five years food/beverage manuafcturing experience
- Experience working in a manufacturing or production environment
- Experience executing maintenance on manufacturing equipment strongly preferred
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
Additional REQUIREMENTS to consider before applying:
- Must have the ability to engage in physical activities and manual labor, as required, including but not limited to: prolonged standing, walking, lifting, pushing, pulling and bending
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds safely and with proper body mechanics
- The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud
- This person has a flexible work schedule and must be willing and able to work all shifts including weekends, holidays, early mornings and late nights
- The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license free of any major violations in the last FIVE years
The selected candidate will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background and driver's license check. You must be at least 21 years of age to work for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
**This Position is Open Until Filled**
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer