POSITION: Lab Tech II
DEPARTMENT: Lab - Production
FLSA: Full Time, Non-exempt
JOB GRADE: Firkin
Harpoon has over 300 employees who understand that making great beer fun can be more challenging – and more rewarding - than it seems. We do things a bit differently here; different from other companies in general and different from most of our fellow brewers. Different in this case does not mean more complex or harder to understand. Because we also believe in being simple and straightforward. We have a very short list of ‘philosophies’ that underline how we run our business:
- Treat others as we would like to be treated ourselves.
- Work like an owner and think like a customer.
- Make great beer and revel in it or as we say to the rest of the world: Love Beer. Love Life.
- We love the beer we brew, and we love drinking it together. We’re looking for people who share a commitment to excellence and a sense of humor to join our growing team.
Reporting to the Director of Quality, the Lab Tech II employee will join the QA/QC Department in performing Lab responsibilities to ensure that all products meet the specifications of Harpoon. This position works closely together with other members of the quality and production staff to identify critical quality points, help generate solutions and will interface with brewers, cellarmen, filter operators and packaging staff.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform internal QA audits that are compliant with corporate policies, practices, and procedures.
- Support new product development and continuous improvement.
- Promote and advocate quality achievement and performance improvement across the organization.
- Create and maintain QA control documentation.
- Chemical, microbiological, and physical analysis of raw materials, in-process beer, finished beer, process aids and packaging materials.
- Evaluation of production techniques at all steps in the brewing and packaging process, including sensory analysis of beer and beer ingredients.
- Work with other members of the quality and production staff to identify critical quality points and help generate solutions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Bachelors of Science in chemistry, food science, or a related field, or equivalent quality control/quality assurance experience in the brewing or beverage/food industry
- Ability to think critically and troubleshoot
- Understanding of statistics
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional time management skills
- Genuine enthusiasm for great beer
- The ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision and collaboratively and dynamic environment.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs
- Manual movement of chemical drums/beer kegs on a regular basis
- Reaches, bends, stoops, lifts, carries is required
Opportunity to be an integral part of a professional Lab team working in a fast paced and challenging environment. Position offers a great experience and opportunity for growth and development.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to chemical, microbiological, and physical analysis of raw materials, in-process beer, finished beer, process aids and packaging materials, and production techniques at all steps in the brewing and packaging process, including sensory analysis of beer and beer ingredients. You must be able to work together with other members of the quality and production staff to identify critical quality points and help generate solutions. This is a lab position that will include time interfacing with brewers, cellarmen, filter operators and packaging staff, but it is not a brewing position.